Resources for Specific Family Situations
Studies reveal that the single most decisive factor among kids who do well in school and avoid risky behaviors is eating meals with the family. As author Miriam Weinstein explains, “Sitting down to a meal together draws a line around us for a brief time and strengthens family bonds by shutting out the rest of the world as a powerful ritual against the many forces pulling us apart.” Family meals give us...
- A place to belong: Healthy children receive their sense of identity from church and home. At church, the communion table is the central activity uniting believers in Christ. At home, mealtime is the central event reminding each person that he or she has a place in a specific family. Both rituals yank us out of solitude and isolation and reconnect us to those with whom we have an intimate, God ordained bond.
- A moment of sanity: Gathering from the alienation of separate activities provides a much needed moment of sanity because every time we eat together we corporately acknowledge our dependence upon the provider of all life-sustaining gifts. Hunger pangs draw us together and to God.
- A rhythm for health: Studies show that when families eat together they are more likely to eat balanced meals. We become vulnerable to destructive patterns when we disconnect ourselves from God-ordained rhythms. Eating alone or on-the-fly increases the likelihood of overindulgence and junk food. Conversation during family meals, by contrast, helps us plan and pace our eating while creating a regular occasion for connection.
Are you looking for a way to disciple your children? Complete a Creek CIA mission with your family each week to intentionally address biblical topics at home.
- Week 1: Discover God's Creation
- Week 2: Discover God's Love
- Week 3: Discover Worship
- Week 4: Discover Your Mission Field
- Week 5: Discover How to Fellowship
- Week 6: Discover How to Encourage
- Week 7: Discover Overcoming Trials
- Week 8: Discover Forgiveness
- Week 9: Discover Who God Is
- Week 10: Discover Spending Time With God
My Faith@Home Plan
Build your Faith@Home plan today!